Occasional drinker. Have fatty liver and high triglycerides. Should I get a biopsy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I've been getting blood work because my high triglycerides.
Attach you will find 3 results high lighted in green for the past year and a half. I'm 32 years old, 5.10, 208lbs. I'm about 15 to 20 lbs over weight, very occasionally drinker.
It seems that I have a Fatty liver. What do you recommend my next steps will be ? Should i get a biopsy? I'm not sure which stage I'am and if its more than Fatty Liver.
All Hepatitis tests are normal
- My Brother have a high triglycerides also, but normal liver enzymes.
- I did sigmoidoscopy last year, and I've been told that I have three Ulcers which i have no symptoms for.
- 70% of the time I have a diaria.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since the liver enzymes are within normal limits, you are having a simple fatty liver ( steatosis). There is no need for any biopsy.
Multiple factors may be responsible for it - high triglycerides, obesity and possibly alcohol intake.

Take medications to reduce triglycerides, weight reduction and abstinence from alcohol would help.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Occasional drinker. Have fatty liver and high triglycerides. Should I get a biopsy? 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your query.

I'm not a drinker, rarely occasionally drinker. I'm wondering what are the medicines to reduce triglycerides. and for the high number i have which is 508. Is medication recommended or working out and diet should do it.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 25 hours later
Your triglycerides level is quite high.
In addition to work out and diet, you need to take medications also.
You may require medications like statins and fibrates. Discuss with your doctor about these medications.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini