Nursing mother. Got slight fever. Safe to take paracetamol?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor,
My wife is having a slight fever and she also feeds my two month old daughter.
Can she take Paracetamol? Will it have any effect on the baby? If this table is it not advisable can you suggest an altenative?
Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 25 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

She can take paracetamol tablet in prescribed dose for her fever.

Paracetamol can be taken for fever by mothers who are breastfeeding their infants.

If the fever is not subsided within 24 hours, the cause for fever should be examined physically by a doctor and investigated accordingly.

Therefore if the fever persists beyond 24 hours from the onset take her for Physician consultation.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.