Numerous pimples on butt,large boil at top of butt crack in 9 month old

My 9month old son has numerous pimples on his butt, not sure where this is coming from. He has a large one at the top of his butt crack that looks like it could becoming a boil. Please help!!
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 4 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks you for your query
Numerous pimple looking lesions are probably suggestive of Milia, it occur because of maternal hormonal change.They don't need any treatment as they will disappear eventually.Keep the area clean as much as possible.

You have mentioned that there is large Boil is present at the top of butt crack.please consult a doctor for this,don't evacuate it on your own ,it will be more painful.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Numerous pimples on butt,large boil at top of butt crack in 9 month old 11 hours later
The pimples on his butt are red with white heads. I read up on milia and what i gathered from it, is that they are white, he had them when he was born on his face...but they have gone.
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 6 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Milia is commoly seen in early neonatal period and usually presents as small numerous whiteheads. But Milia can appear at later in infancy and may presnts as small whiteheads surrounded by reddish skin.

Rubbing of fabric on the area can worsen the condition(whiteheads), especially if that fabric contains a residue of detergent.This kind of irritation can make whiteheads to appear as erythematous(reddish) whiteheads.

The differntiating feature between Milia and others is that it is not painful to touch(unless not irritated),absence of other features like fever, tender to touch, and absence of spreading lesions.

The other condition which do appear in similar way are:
1.Erythema Toxicum.

Since i have not examined the baby and a clinical examination is needed to find out the exact cause . I suggest you to consult a doctor in your place for the clinical examination.

If you have additional questions then please do post us. I will be available to answer them as well