Numbness of leg,pinched nerve,snapping knee,no back pain

my 23 year old daughter woke up 3 days ago with her lower right front of her leg feeling numb like it is "asleep". The area affected is from just under her knee to her ankle, the front only. She works at a daycare and sometimes kneels on the floor. Her back does not hurt. She has always had knees that "snap" when she bends them--I don't know if that makes a difference. If it is a pinched nerve, how long would the numbness last? She is very worried. She is 5' tall and weighs 110 lbs. She takes zoloft for anxiety--which is controlled with the drug.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

The numbness of lower right leg with no muscular weakness is most likely due to a pinched nerve but if it starts affecting other areas also, then generalised neuropathy or infective causes needs to be ruled out with the help of a physician.

Kneeling down many times should not affect the nerve function as the nerves to the leg pass from popliteal fossa or from the outer side of the upper leg.

If she does not remember any injury to the leg in the recent past and the problem is not involving any muscles then you can just wait for 7 days to see if it is recivering or not.

Adding methylcobalamin supplements will help in early recovery.

Oral steroids may be needed to be prescribed for an early recovery.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Numbness of leg,pinched nerve,snapping knee,no back pain 54 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. So do you feel that if there is no change in 7 days she should see a neurologist? She said it feels a little achy behind her knee now, but I think she may be holding it tense. Also, she is about to start her period. How long can the effects of a pinched nerve last?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Pinched nerve usually starts recovering within 72 hours. If no improvement is seen then it is best to consult a neurologist.

Doing a Nerve conduction test will be helpful in assessing the nerve damage.

It can also be due to her periods about to start soon.

You can wait for a week and observe.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing your daughter a trouble free speedy recovery.