Numbness in hands ,feet ,easily fatigued, vibration in legs and hands. MRI normal. What can it be ?

Neurologist
Question
Here are my symptoms : Numbness in my hands and feet, easily fatigued, weakness in my hands, vibrations in my legs, tight muscles in my calfs, feeling like i ran a marathon, even after walking a short distance. The numbness is constant, but the other symptoms come and go. I was fine for about 2 months after and then they started up about two weeks ago. Had an MRI with and without contrast in August...nothing.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

There are a couple of things which come to mind with the symptoms you report and none of them is life-threatening. Most of your neurological symptoms are episodic, fluctuating and transient indicating an non-progressive Neurological disorder.

Most of the symptoms like benign fasciculations, numb hands and feet, fatigue and transient weakness suggest to me like you are suffering from symptoms related to fibromyalgia, anxiety and depression rather than true neurological disease. Normal MRI excludes the possibility of demyelinating disease in you.

So I personally feel you have "Benign Fasciculations" and symptoms related to fibromyalgia and anxiety neurosis. In view of persistent numbness in the hands and feet I personally request you to see a Neurologist for a good clinical examination and if required nerve conduction studies to exclude peripheral neuropathy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Numbness in hands ,feet ,easily fatigued, vibration in legs and hands. MRI normal. What can it be ? 4 hours later
I have had an EMG and it was normal. My sister also has similar, but not identical symptoms, a clean MRI and was just diagnosed with MS. I am making a neuro appt, as the last neurologist I saw had no idea what is going on with me.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 49 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Normal ENMG rules out the possibility of underlying Neuropathy. However your symptoms do not suggest the possibility of MS in you. You need to see a Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist