Numbness in ankle and foot, edema, pockets of water. Have Epstein Barr, low TSH level and elevated hemoglobin

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yes, i have had numbness in my XXXXXXX that it is now moving to ankle and foot, edema with what feel like a pockes of water that feels like a bubble, what should i do
i just found out i have epstein barr and low tsh level, elevated hemoglobin
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

I understand your concern for your present health situation. Please do answer a few questions for me s that I will be in a better position to help you.

Are you having edema on both legs or just one ?

Since when have you been having edema ?

Are you on any medication ?

Are you having disturbed sleep, feelings of anxiety, increased sweating and recent loss of weight, any swelling in front of the neck, shortness of breath, chest pain ?

Regarding the edema in your leg, it could be due to various reason which need to be investigated well. Hyperthyroidism is known to cause pedal edema. You may soak your leg in a bucket of concentrated salt solution, This will definitely reduce the edema.

Usually low TSH levels can be seen in those patients who are developing hyperthyroidism. In this case, the T3 and T4 hormone levels would be high and TSH levels low.

An isolated level of hemoglobin could commonly point to possible early dehydration at the time of taking the blood test. If associated with any other abnormal blood cell counts it may need to be looked at, otherwise it is insignificant.

infections can cause various infections but commonly respiratory illness and Infectious mononucleosis (Mono). There is less chance foe it to cause any of the above mentioned symptoms. There may be increased risk of getting autoimmune disease, Lupus, Rheumatoid arthritis, Chronic fatigue syndrome due to the infection. You may not need any medical treatment unless you have any lesions specific to EB virus. Many persons may harbor EB virus and still not suffer from disease.

Kindly do reply to the above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.