Numbness and pain in leg, cramps, difficulty walking

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello doctor
i have num XXXXXXX and pain in right leg below knee for the past two weeks
earlier it started as cramp on my right leg
now i am not able to walk even for a distance of 50 feet
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a nerve root compression ate the level of spinal cord due to ankylosing spondylosis or disc prolapse.
An MRI of the lumbo sacral spine will help in confirming the diagnosis. Nerve conduction velocity study will also be helpful in detecting any nerve related lesions.
You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order relevant tests to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.