Noticed white strip on the back of throat, having pain while swallowing. What is going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Im having difficulty swallowing and its like there is a white strip down the back of my throat
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A white strip on the back of your throat and pain while swallowing are suggestive of a throat infection most likely a bacterial infection.
Usually such infections resolve in 3-5 days time. Appropriate systemic antibiotics are the mainstay of treatment.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.