Noticed white patches close to labia and itching in anal area. Could it be herpes simplex virus?

vaginal concernI am concerned about a diagnosis my OBGYN gave me today. she believes I have symptoms. I have two scaled feeling white patches located close to my labia. I also have excessive itching between my top vulva area all thru my anal area. I have two places on the vulva that have bumps not open sores. inside I also have these bumps. I have a mole that has changed and also have 4 new brown spots that have appeared. my lymph nodes hurt and i have no fever. but I also have lost fourteen pounds in a month. from what I know of herpes I know blisters/ ulcers appear and its painful during urinating. this is not my symptoms. can anyone help?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 3 hours later

After going through your symptoms, there are two differential diagnosis. One is vulvo-vaginal candidiasis and other is herpes genitalis.

We will talk first about candidiasis. Here patient will have intense itching as you have; but discharge will be more pronounced and curdy white vaginal discharge.
Clinical examination itself reveals diagnosis but if you want to confirm then you can go ahead with lab investigation - KOH mount which will reveal candida.

Now about herpes genitalis which usually present as blister and pain in genital area.
Many of patient can present with ulcerated lesions after blister rupture. Pain may not be evident in all patients. Clinical examination alone is enough to arrive at diagnosis.
However diagnosis can be confirmed with viral culture or DNA/PCR test.

But as your doctor has done clinical examination and has come to diagnosis, then it is likely to be herpes genitalis.

Treatment is completely different for both conditions. So if you want to confirm yourself, then you can go ahead and do lab test for confirmation.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.