Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed white layer on penis. Is this a serious problem?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi on my penis i find white layer when i remove the for cover is that a serious problem ?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 35 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A white cheesy layer found on the head of the penis (glans), when you pull down the foreskin is absolutely normal. It is called Smegma. It is nothing but a combination of shed epithelial cells, oily secretions from the glans and moisture. It is harmless and it lubricates the cavity between the foreskin and the glans. It does not indicate any infection.

So, you don't have to worry about it. If there is too much deposition of smegma, then you can wash the area frequently and maintain good genital hygiene.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: Noticed white layer on penis. Is this a serious problem? 4 days later
Dear sir,

My left penis ball is paining and also on my penis i find a red spots which pains a bit while having seX. Is thi s because of the white layer that is forming on it or any allergy. I have taken pain killers for the ball pain it reduced but when i stop the mediciens it pains a little bit. Recently I had a pelivis scan which shows everything is Normal. Need your advice

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 5 hours later
Hello again,

Smegma (the normal whitish deposits) is not associated with red spots or any pain. In such a case, it is possible that these symptoms could be indicative of a fungal infection.

I would suggest the following measures:

- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution or diluted Betadine solution (potassium permanganate crystals or Betadine solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cream like miconazole (Micoderm) or clotrimazole (Candid), twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If these measures are followed, your lesion should most likely settle down gradually within a week to 10 days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a dermatologist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist