Noticed twinge in lower back with sore abdomen. Not due for periods. cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
This morning after my shower i noticed a twinge in my lower back, but it feels more XXXXXXX When i sit it really hurts when i try to stand up. I feel like I cannot straighten up until the pain eases a bit. my abdomen feels a bit sore too.
i don't think I am due a period for another 2 weeks but thought it could be my womb so took some anti inflams but nothing. I am now lying on my bed and struggle t get up out of this too..

I am hoping/thinking it could be trapped wind. I took windeze a couple of hrs ago but no changes yet,
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be possibly a muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of
* twinge (sudden sharp localized pain) in the back,
* hurting while sitting & trying to stand up
* difficulty in straightening up
* struggle to get up from bed

are all suggestive of a typical muscular pain propably arising from the paravertebral muscles present on either side of the spinal column in your lower back.

The general treatment guidelines for muscle spasm/pain is as follows -

* Rest to the painful area and avoiding any acitivity that aggravates the pain
* Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. This should be done for 48-72 hours
* Start applying heat after 72 hours. Moist heat, such as damp heating pads, hot showers or hot tubs is usually recommended. Heat helps to promote healing by drawing healthy blood cells to the area of the back spasm. Heat also relaxes the nerves and muscle fibers.
* Begin gentle stretching exercises once inflammation has been reduced and the back spasm eases. Stretching the muscle fibers can help them relax and further soothe the back spasm.
* Judicious use of Analgesics (advil or aleve) & muscle relaxants will help in reducing the pain and inflammation.

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, you may need to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further