Noticed swollen lymph nodes in neck and armpit. Tested for mono, sinus infections. Blood work came normal

My 20 year old son has been tested for mono, sinus infections, been on antibiotics and a steroid. We had his blood count done and they all came back normal. He has had occurences of swollen lymph nodes in his neck and armpits, they get swollen and then reduce in size. The ENT said there was no infection and nothing wrong and with all the blood tests we had I am questioning if this could be from smoking cannibis. He doesn't smoke a lot at one time but I think its probably a few times a week. The lymph nodes in his armpits are little bumps that appear then go away and appear on the other armpit. Could cannibis be causing this? As he has been tested for everything else I have to ask. We do not have a family history of cancer or illnesses and are all healthy.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your query .

Well looking into the problm I would like to tell you that Cannabis smoking is not known to cause lymphadenopathy . Although some people can have bizzare presentation not known with the use of drug but that is very rare . So it seems unlikely that your son is having this problem because of smoking cannabis that too occasionally .

As you told that he has already been tested for everything two things I will suggest that hisw treating doctor must exclude tuberculosis and possibilty of lymphoma . There is every likelihood that these lymph nodes could be because of his allergic tendencies .Rest your treating doctor remains the best judge as he has examined your son . Just follow his advise .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Noticed swollen lymph nodes in neck and armpit. Tested for mono, sinus infections. Blood work came normal 18 minutes later
He was tested for tuberculosis and it was negative. Wouldn't lymphoma show up in his complete blood work up? All of the blood work up including testing his organs and white and red blood cells all came back normal. What other test does he need to be tested for? And if his blood work up was all normal what other test is there for lymphoma?
Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back.

Yes it generally shows in the blood work up but sometimes when not and index of suspicion is high other tests should be performed .

Lymphnode biopsy will be the most conclusive test for diagnosing the disease which is going on .

Other thing would be bone marroe biopsy and Pet scan but this will depend on the discretion of your treating doctor whether he thinks these tests are required or not .

Dr. Shruti