Noticed swollen glad in the neck. Diagnosed thyroid nodule. Having numbing and tingling sensation in legs and foot. Cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012
Excellent

Question
hi i thought i had a swollen gland in my neck. i end up going to a new doc. the doc say that, i had a thyroid nodule on my right side of neck near collarbone area. i just got bloodwork and us on it. waiting for results to come next wk. now i just getting numbing and tingling feeling in my whole hands and legs. when i sit, my legs feel tingling feelings. and lightheadness in my head. i dont know whats going on. does it have to do with this thyroid.i feel uneasy like i'll faint like i walk like i feel no feelings in y legs opr hands.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Thyroid nodules are lumps which commonly arise within an otherwise normal thyroid gland.They indicate a thyroid neoplasm, but only a small percentage of these are thyroid cancers. The great majority of thyroid nodules aren't serious and don't cause symptoms. Some thyroid nodules, however, may become large enough to press on your windpipe, making it uncomfortable or difficult to swallow. In some cases, thyroid nodules produce additional thyroxine, a hormone secreted by your thyroid gland. The extra thyroxine can cause problems such as:
- Sudden, unexplained weight loss
- Nervousness
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat

A few thyroid nodules are cancerous (malignant) but it's difficult to tell which nodules are malignant by symptoms alone. Although size isn't a predictor of whether a nodule is malignant or not, cancerous thyroid tumors are more likely to be large fixed masses that grow quickly.
I presume those your symptoms are occasional and only come in from time to time. They might be anxiety related probably due to the fact that a nodule has been discovered in your thyroid.
Be rest assured that given your age, the nodule will hardly be a cancer and probably some benign mass, maybe a cyst that can be surgically removed with any problems.
Just relax and weight for laboratory results. Maybe a CT scan or MRI can be done to determine the type of nodule present.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Noticed swollen glad in the neck. Diagnosed thyroid nodule. Having numbing and tingling sensation in legs and foot. Cure? 37 minutes later
thank you for reply. i did do a thyroid function test in iddle of may 2013 and had chest x XXXXXXX and bloodwork in dec 2012. i just got a us done yesterday on the nodule. waiting for results. the doc said that it doesnt look hard and cant be seen but felt by touch..my oms side family womens have thyroid probles including my mom. no one had thyroid cancer or anything. just take m+ed for thyroid disease. the thing im worry i keep getting tingling and numbing feelings in my hands and legs like its lightness . could that be because of thyroid nodule? i do low iron count cuz of c section seven months ago. i have no medical problems

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 23 minutes later

Thanks for updating,

Your tingling and numbing feelings could be due to the anemia but I do not think it is related to the thyroid nodule. I am positive the nodule is your thyroid is harmless (i.e not cancerous) and just hold on a little for the results to be out.
For the tingling, you might need medications such as tricyclic antidepressant such as amitriptyline etc. Also supplements in vitamin B could be useful as vitamin B deficiency can also cause this. What you are experiencing is known as peripheral neuropathy which has varied causes including vitamin B deficiency, anemia and others.

Hope this further helps
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Noticed swollen glad in the neck. Diagnosed thyroid nodule. Having numbing and tingling sensation in legs and foot. Cure? 2 minutes later
thank for the reply, sorry for troubling you. its sweet of u to reply fast. so the thyroid function test was normal but is chance of having any type of thyroid related disease cuz of given faily history. my mo has heart problems and i did have a isscarriage in end of march. the nodule showed up in april 2013. i was taking pil for low iron but i stopped when it see normal. i should start again. i had this nodule for over three months. its the same size. it hasnt changed.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 40 minutes later

Well, I do not think you should worry about the thyroid nodule so long as thyroid function is normal. If it has been the same size for the past 3 months, then more reason not to worry. Your miscarriage is certainly not related to the nodule either. The cause of the miscarriage would have been investigated at the time by the doctor that saw you by then. I do not feel you have any type of thyroid diseases as of now given that your thyroid function test was normal.
Just stay calm and quit worrying (as worrying alone can be problematic).
I do not feel you should worry much about your thyroid anyways.

Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Noticed swollen glad in the neck. Diagnosed thyroid nodule. Having numbing and tingling sensation in legs and foot. Cure? 23 minutes later
aww thank u doctor. im more calm now.
can anixety cause the thingling or numbing feeling throughout the body like y ovement is light. or could it be carpel tunnel disease? cuz i do some pain under y left ribs and shoulders and hands. this is the last of questions. thank u

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 minutes later

Yes anxiety can cause those symptoms. Carpal tunnel syndrome can be considered as a differential but it is not the most likely cause. It usually affects extremities of the body and often occurs after compression of one or more nerves.
If you are having neuropathy, then other causes are likely such as vitamin B deficiency, anxiety, anemia etc.
You just need to relax, do some mild exercise, take vitamin B complex supplements. If the tingling and/or numbing continue, it will be recommended that you see a doctor for physical examination and proper clinical review.

Hope this helps further.
Dr. Nsah