Noticed swelling on armpit. What could be causing this?

Sep 2012

I have a swelling in my right arm pit that has been there for a couple of months. It is not hard, and has not feeling of sists, but is about three inches in diameter. There are no other symptoms. Today I noticed it more then usual because I was at the gym under bright lights with big mirrors and when I went to do a pull down, I saw that while my left arm pit indented, the right one stuck out even more. Can you please tell me what can be the possible reason for this?
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the description indicates some possibilities. It may be a lipoma or an enlarged lymph node or a fibrous tissue.

For a definitive diagnosis you have to be examined clinically. Size, exact positione, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with the underlying structure should be noted.

Depending upon the clinical findings diagnosis can be made. In case of any doubt, fine needle aspiration cytology ( FNAC) or excisional biopsy should be considered.

So, you should consult with your family physician or general physician for detailed clinical examination and for ordering required investigation and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more query.

Follow-up: Noticed swelling on armpit. What could be causing this? 55 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help. I will go to a clinic tomorrow, but I wrote tonight because this is worrying me. I don't usually worry about little things with health, but this has me concerned. The consitency is just that of inflammation and not anything hard or fixed is underlying. I fear after reading possible causes on the internet that it could be a sign of breast cancer and I have never had a momogram. I am happy to hear it could be nothing serious.

Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, rarely, breast cancer is presented with this type of armpit swelling. In internet you can see thousands of causes of a particular symptoms. But, you do not have to worry thinking about all of them.

Suppose, the swelling is a part of breast cancer. But, in that case, you must have an enlarged breast lump. Not only that, both the lumps should be hard and fixed, with puckered skin. But you have told that the swelling is not hard. So, there is very low chance of breast cancer.

So, just wait for clinical examination. After that, your doctor will tell you what to do depending upon the clinical findings.

Hope you have your answers.