Noticed swelling and pain in lower back. Should I go for specialist advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

I noticed at least a month ago, that the area at the lowest part of my back and concentrated just above the start of the gluteus is swollen. It looks puffy and it feels soft to the touch. I've never noticed any problems until yesterday. I was doing a workout video and in a position for ab workout that required feet against a wall and holding one's shoulder blades off the floor (to engage abs). I felt a very hard pain, as if I was lying on a rock and realized it's the same location of the swollen area. Do I need to see my GP or find a specialist?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
The pain and swelling n the lowest part of your back could be due to a hematoma formation or a muscle sprain due to the workout. Such soft tissue injuries are usually self limiting and do resolve with adequate rest over 3-4 weeks.
You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.
You can do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, have anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.