Noticed small wart on penis base after sex. Should I be worried about contracting HIV or STD?

Question
I recently had protected intercourse with an escort 2 days ago. I have a small wart at the base of my penis which may not have been covered by the condom. Should I be worried about contracting HIV or other STDS at an increased chance due to the wart?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Wart is an exploitative growth over the skin surface.If the wart or the surrounding area has broken surface oozing out blood or serum , then though less there are chances of transmission of HIV .If the wart is intact without any broken skin surface then the chances can be considered negligible.

The risk involved in other sexually transmitted infections like hepatitis and herpes are slightly more compared to that of HIV.It would be a better option for you to get tested for both above infections.

Hope I answered your query.Please do ask doubts, if any.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Noticed small wart on penis base after sex. Should I be worried about contracting HIV or STD? 11 hours later
How soon after intercourse will STD testing results be accurate?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

2 weeks is the minimum time(incubation period) needed for herpes. For hepatitis, we should be looking at around 4-8 weeks for the tests to become positive.

For HIV, the 1st test needs to be done at 6 weeks. This will be an ELISA. If this is negative, we will repeat the same test at 3 months and 6 months. If it is negative, you can be sure you havent contracted HIV. If you want to be detected sooner, you will need to get a PCR test done.

Hope I answered you well.