Noticed small bump on lower lip. There is no pain, itching or swelling. What could this be?

Jul 2012

I have noticed a two small bumps (approx 1-2mm) that have formed on my lower lip. Both are on the anterior portion of the lip, and outside of the mouth. One being almost in the center (both vertically and horizontally), the other being on the right side and near the center of that region. There is no pain, swelling, itching, or other irritation associated, and they are both similar in color to the surrounding areas. They are not sore to the touch nor do they appear to filled with any type of fluid. They are both round and very slightly raised. I have no history of cold sores or any other oral lesions. The bumps both appeared prior to 9am and have not had any noticeable change today (6:15pm).
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
From your description, it does appear that these 'bumps' that are asymptomatic are most likely a 'reaction pattern'..probably to some local bite. They have an outside chance of being herpetic even if no water in them. A good test cum treatment will be to apply a cream called kenalog orabase locally twice/day for 24-48 hrs. It should clear up completely if a reaction pattern. it will increase marginally if herpes & if some degenerative change like a regular skin tag etc, there will be no difference. Hope this helps sort you out.
Cheers & wish you good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Noticed small bump on lower lip. There is no pain, itching or swelling. What could this be? 13 minutes later
I have one other question, I noticed that if I push my tongue against the XXXXXXX surface of the lip directly behind the bump, it appears to blanch slightly although normal coloration returns instantly upon removal of pressure. I am unsure if this affects your initial thoughts, however I was wondering if the blanching could be a sign of XXXXXXX inflammation and/or some type of immune response. The surround skin does not blanch under the same pressure. I will try the kenalog and see how that works. Thank you for your timely and thorough response.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
I hear you. This suggests that there is some sort of vascular feature involving the local capillaries here if it blanches on pressure. It does not necessarily point to any XXXXXXX problem as it is only 2 lesions & not a bunch or a sudden crop of relax. Yes do try the kenalog orabase bit & see how it pans out for you. Else, at a later stage, perhaps a visit to a dermatologist/surgeon for a mucosal biopsy of the lesion may be in order. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD