Noticed slightly bent middle finger. Getting pain and unable to straighten it. What should I do?

right hand middle fingerAbout 6 months ago. I woke up with my middle finger, on right hand curled over. It was stuck. I would straighten it out by opening it with left hand. No pain. Over time it got harder to straighten it. And now gets stuck for weeks @ a time. And can't straghten it out because its extremely painful. For the past month, almost straight. I can't make it completly flat like the rest of my fingers. It stays slightly bent. How do I do? I don't have insurance.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive dupuytren’s contracture.The cause is unknown. Dupuytren's contracture is a painless thickening and contracture of tissue beneath the skin on the palm of the hand and fingers. Symptoms are difficulty to extend or straighten the fingers. In severe cases, straightening them is impossible.

Exercises, warm water baths, or splints may be helpful.

Surgery may be performed to release the contracture, depending on the severity of the condition. Normal movement of the fingers is usually restored by surgery followed by physical therapy exercises for the hand.

A newer treatment involves injecting a substance called collagenase into the scarred or fibrous tissue.

So ideal next step would be to see doctor and go ahead with one of the treatment.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.
Follow-up: Noticed slightly bent middle finger. Getting pain and unable to straighten it. What should I do? 18 minutes later
So do you not think that it could be a tendon pulled or stuck in the center of my hand? On you tube there's a lot of cases. And even show's the surgery to release tendon. If it is dupuytrens contracture. Will it spread to my entire hand? And my left hand also? And what will happen to my hand in time? I'm really scared rite now. And it is painful. Theres a constant strain or pulling on my palm
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
Yes, I mean it's stuck tendon.It's difficult to predict it's progress and tell whether it will involve other fingers or hand.

A good medical care can surely take care of this, so please relax and see your doctor.

Hope this helps.Regards.
Follow-up: Noticed slightly bent middle finger. Getting pain and unable to straighten it. What should I do? 19 days later
hello, I went to a spa & got a massage. I told the lady about my hand problem. She had never seen anything like it b4. She spent a lot of time on my right arm , hand & back. When I 1st got there. I had a lump in palm of my hand. She found a lump in my back & rubbed it out. When she was done, it seemed that the lump in my hand was almost gone. And my middle finger was a lot more flexible. But still couldnt straighten completely. Would a lot of massaging straighten out my finger completely? And is there other illnesses that can be confused with duputrens?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 hours later
Other possibilities that can cause this is fibroma, tendinosis, local fibrosis,nerve sheath tumor etc. I guess a MRI or high frequency ultrasound can be undertaken to have look at this region.This can help predict possible treatment and also if message therapy can prove helpful.