Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed red rashes on penis head and uncomfortable thin blister. Should I stop taking doxycycline?

i started taking a 10 day course of doxycycline 100 mg for bronchitis 4 days ago. I notice a red rash on the head of my penis yesterday. Today I have an uncomfortable thin blister there. Should I stop taking the medication? What can i use to treat the blister? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 43 minutes later

Based on your description the rash on the penis head appears probably due to herpes.

Doxycycline is not related to the penile lesion, in fact doxycycline is used to treat many of the sexually transmitted infections.

Do consult a dermatologist to get the lesion examined and rule out the herpes.Meanwhile do apply Ointment Acyclovir twice daily over the lesion.This ointment will contain the infection if it is due to herpes and treat it within few days.

Do not handle the lesion frequently , as it can spread to other parts of the penis.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.