Noticed red, itchy marks on penis and foot. What is this and what should be done?

Jul 2012

Below are photos of my ankles (both feet, one foot outside too) that have red, sometimes itchy marks on them. I also have marks on my penis (not sure if it's related) just really worried as these have not gone away for over 3 months now. Can you please tell me what this is or looks like, and what i should do about it? Attached please find the pictures I inquired about. Please advise what this is and what I can do about it... As stated earlier, I have Ulcerative Colitis. I have been in a monogamous relationship for 2 years and have been experiencing symptoms for a little over 3 months. These marks sometimes itch. Please advise, thanks!
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
To be perfectly honest, have gone through your snaps. While the history of the rash is adequate, am afraid, i cannot say the same about the quality of the photographs. However, in a background of ulcerative colitis et al, i would not rule out a condition called pompholyx that is self limiting but should get better with the use of a topical steroid cream & an oral antihistamine. It may be stress aggravated. May i recommend using a hydrocortisone butyrate lipocream (locoid) applied twice/daily for 10 days & a tablet named fexofenadine 180 (telfast) once daily for the same period. Alternatively, one needs to do a 'skin biopsy' test of the area near the ankle, establish the diagnosis & then treat the condition...this is probably the ideal way & you will need to set up a dermatologist's appointment for this. However if you dont have insurance et al, or unwilling to wait, then my first suggestion should hold you in good stead. Hope i have given you direction & helped you make an informed deciscion. Cheers & Good Luck!