Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed red dots on penis. No pain or itching. Any affect on sex life?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Dear Doc,
Since 2 weeks I can spot some kind of light reddish dots in my glans of penis, I don't feel pain or itch. It makes me worry. Will it affect my sex life. Please suggest. Images attached.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
I would like to know if the lesions were preceded by any unprotected sexual contact
If there is any history of discharge
If there is history of application of dettol or savlon to clean the area
If the area also shows mild fissuring or curdy white discharge
How did the lesions begin initially
From the images I feel apart from red dots, you have few erosions too. Is it so?

I would be in a better position to help you, if you could these queries.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Noticed red dots on penis. No pain or itching. Any affect on sex life? 14 minutes later
Doc,
Thanks for ur quick response,

I had unprotected sex with my girl friend, I haven't used any dettol kind of lotions to clean, just normal soap when I bath. There was no such discharge. Or I couldn't get you properly, if u mean sperm kind of thing, no, I didn't get.

I believe I got this after sex with my girl. But not sure.
Adding to my above reply, there are few erosions too

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 hours later
In your case I could think of few possibilities that could have led to erosions over glans and raised red lesions
1) herpes simplex infection where one gets tiny fluid filled blisters over glans that might become superficial erosions and can be slightly painful. The lesions are recurrent
2) candidal infection- it is characterised by red itchy glans with whitish discharge covering the areas it may also present with raised lesions, pustules and erosions
3) irritant balanitis - due to smegma, application of soaps, frictional injury, sweat collection etc.
The first two can be sexually transmitted ie if you got it from your friend she might be having symptoms of vaginal discharge , redness and itching in the area or history of painful erosions in the area. The same can be ruled out by asking her about the specific history and if she is having the lesions she too should take treatment to prevent further recurrence.

Now coming back to your concern, there are certain glitches
Firstly if its herpes then oral therapy is not required as two weeks have passed and antiviral would serve no purpose.
Candida can be a possibility however you have not mentioned any itching or white discharge/ material covering the area.
Irritant balanitis seems to be a likely possibility.
Hence I would advise you to take a treatment that broadly covers the above three
You may start with
Cleaning the area with warm saline water twice in a day, dry the area properly
Apply flutibact cream mixed with clotrimazole cream twice in a day
Do not use soap to clean the area
Wear loose clothes and do not indulge in self stimulation or sexual activities for few days.
Kindly follow the same for five days and let me know how much response are you having.
Should there be any other doubt feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Noticed red dots on penis. No pain or itching. Any affect on sex life? 9 hours later
Doc,
Today I feel itchy, shall I continue with same medications.?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 minutes later
Yes, continue with same medication as suggested and take tablet cetirizine to relieve itching. Let me know about the response after 4 to 5 days.

Follow-up: Noticed red dots on penis. No pain or itching. Any affect on sex life? 1 hour later
Doc,
I am sorry to bother you by asking silly questions.

You asked me to mix both the creams and apply... How do I do that.. Or you meant apply one after another... So sorry if it sound so silly to you. Just a bid afraid.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 minutes later
It is not at all a silly question.
Mix flutibact and clotrimazole in equal amount and apply ie take roughly one part of each cream over your finger, mix and then apply.
There are many antibiotic antifungal steroid combination available over the counter but I didn't advise as these could have proved to be stronger for genital area.