Noticed red dots after burning sensation on the tongue and palate. What is it?

I have a burning sensation on the tongue and palate. Upon looking inside my mouth I noticed red little pinhead-sized dots.
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: palate and the pharyngeal wall is congested Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have seen the uploaded image and thank you for the good quality of the same. Yes, the red little pinhead sized dots are the congestion spots on the palate and the posterior pharyngeal wall. It seems like highly inflamed. I understand the burning sensation that you feel now. Have you completed the course of Chloramphenicol? If yes, good. I would suggest you to do throat gargling thrice daily with Betadine mouth wash or similar anti-bacterial mouth wash for a few days. This congestion should subside soon. Please take bland food, and not too hot, too spicy, or too cold foods for next one week. You could also chew a mouth lozenge like Strepsils, if available at your location. There is no need to repeat a course of antibiotic, as you have just taken one. If the symptoms worsen by a week's time, it is better to get a throat swab culture done. However, in my view, it should subside within a week's time. Get well soon. Regards,
Follow-up: Noticed red dots after burning sensation on the tongue and palate. What is it? 6 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. What do you mean by "congested"? Yes, I have finished the antibiotics for my intestinal infection. At my house, I have Benzydamine rinse. Can this be used instead of the Betadine?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: congested means the red coloured area Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX "Congested" means the red coloured area inside your mouth. The red angry looking area on your palate and the pharyngeal wall. It is a medical term used to denote swollen blood vessels with blood inside them. I am glad you are done with the antibiotic course. Do not take any antibiotic now. Try the suggested symptomatic measures in my earlier reply. Yes, you can use Benzydamine rinse. Hope this helps.