Noticed red cut on penis, having pain. No blood or puss. Had oral sex. What can this be?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Can I send you a photo of my penis so you could examine it for herpes or hpv?

Hello. I am experiencing somewhat worrisome symptoms on me penis after a protected sexual encounter approx 2 weeks ago. Approx three days after I had sex, I noticed a small red "cut" on my penis. I did not experience any pain. It appeared as though the skin was trying to scab over. No blood or fluids were present. I am worried that this could be herpes or HPV. The female did perform oral sex on me without a condom. Could this XXXXXXX possibly be from rough oral sex (teeth) or something of that nature? Friction during intercourse? I have been taking photos of me penis during the past two weeks. It appears to be "healing", although, its been two full weeks and it is still not completely healed. Can you take a look and see what this could possibly be?

No pain or itching. No blisters or puss. It's been about 2 weeks and it appears to be healing somewhat, but it is still not 100%. Is this something to worry about?

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 days later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You had protected intercourse. So HIV, Syphilis and HPV are unlikely.
As you had unprotected oral sex, the possibility of herpes cannot be ruled out.

But the ulcer doesn't seem to be due to Herpes as seen in the picture sent by you. Moreover there is no history of blisters or vesicles.

If it is due to teeth XXXXXXX or friction during intercourse, it should have been present from the day 1 of your sex contact. But you had noticed only after three days only. If it is due to minor friction or teeth XXXXXXX by two weeks it would have healed well unless there is some secondary infection.

Next possibility is, through oral sex one can get a monilial (yeast) infection. In yeast infection the lesion may look like a crack or a fissure or a cut. Wet and stained smear from the lesion may reveal fungal filaments. It is better to have other tests to rule out STD/HIV as a routine.
If you consult your physician, he/she will help in this regard and treat appropriately.
You will be alright within few days.
DR S.Murugan