Noticed protruding umbilical hernia while weight lifting. Can I continue the bike training safely?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am in the midst of strenuous hill training for an ultramarathon bicycle ride in one month. Yesterday while weight lifting I discovered a protruding umbilical hernia which I quickly poked back in. My question is, can I continue the bike training safely? Today I did a test ride, rode up hills without incident. Am I fairly safe to continue bike hill workouts, if I cut out the weight room?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The umbilical hernia that appeared was due to the weight lifting which increased your intra- abdominal pressure excessively.
Bike training is not likely to cause any harm. You can continue your practice safely.
You have to avoid creating any unnecessary abdominal pressure. Avoid weight lifting, constipation and cough.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.