Noticed painful knot on feet. What should be done for cure?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have recently noticed some knots near the arches and toes of my right feet and it does pain at times.

Kindly recommend what needs to be done, as I go for running on an everyday basis at the gym.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 26 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Knots or trigger points are a common problem ans they are specially seen in patients who have a flat foot or those who exercise a lot. Running on the treadmill can be quite taxing for the feet and can lead to such problems. Feet have a lot of nerve endings and the sole is quite a sensitive area for such problems.

First of all you should wear comfortable shoes and try arch supports, which are commonly available. Another common exercise is to keep a soft tennis ball below your sole and to roll it. If you freeze the ball, it gives additional benefit. You can do this two to three times a day.

Regular massage and reflexology also provides a lot of relief from this pain and tiredeness. You can consult a chiropracter or a physiotherapist, who can give you a few lessons.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.