Noticed one tonsil slightly larger than the other. Concerned

Hi I have recently noticed that I have one tonsil slightly larger than the other. My gp said its normal but I'm extremely concerned as I'm a smoker.
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Tonsils are example of the lymphoid tissues in the body. They are not of definite shape and variable size. In conditions of local infection they become inflamed and enlarged. They can be asymmetric even when normal, so if after examination your physician is confident that is is a normal state then you should be convinced.
I f you still have doubt and think that the size has recently increased then you can get it biopsied.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!