Noticed non-painful swollen gland in neck. Should I go for surgeon appointment?

About 6 weeks ago I noticed a non-painful swollen gland in my neck, which proceeded to enlarge to about 3cm length x 1 cm diameter. I saw my local Dr after 2 1/2 weeks, & bloods all returned normal - no infections. I was given a referral to a surgeon, for a biopsy, but I have had to wait nearly 5 weeks! In this time the gland is just about normal size. I am wondering whether to keep the appointment with the surgeon if everything seems to be back to normal.!?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 1 hour later

Non painful swelling in neck may be a lymph node enlargement (most probably) which remained for few days and disappeared without any treatment.

Usually lymph node enlargement in neck region is secondary to infection and inflammation in pharyngeal, laryngeal region.

In this scenario, I would like to suggest observing for enlargement of swelling, in that case you have to visit your treating physician to rule out any acute infection leading to lymph node enlargement which will respond to few dose of antibiotics.

So need not worry at present. Just keep a watch.

You need not have to keep the appointment with the surgeon, in case it goes away in a week and I am sure, it will.

I hope I have answered your query, feel free to ask further queries if any.