Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed movable bump under foreskin. No itching or discharge. Worrisome

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Doctor, my Son is 5 years old. Today we noticed he has small bump on the shaft of penis which is movable under the foreskin.
From the outer it appears slightly white coloured foreskin (as the whole penis is brown in colour)
He has no complaints and there is no discharge and itiching...but I am worried about him..please help

Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 59 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma. However there is nothing to worry as small nodules of sebaceous glands do form and they disappear over a period of time. Nothing has to be done and it shall not cause any harm.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may have or would like to add new facts of the case.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK

Follow-up: Noticed movable bump under foreskin. No itching or discharge. Worrisome 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply.

Uploaded the two images for your reference. Please have a look.

I am waiting for your feedback.

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thanks for uploading the images. You need not worry for this swelling. Such swellings are commonly seen. They will subside on their own and is not going to effect him.

I hope I have answered your doubts to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back, if required.

RKK

Follow-up: Noticed movable bump under foreskin. No itching or discharge. Worrisome 35 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your quick reply. We are very much relieved.

Just a few clarifications:
By looking at the images, What is your opinion regarding the reason for swelling?
As you mentioned in your first reply that there are small nodules of sebaceous glands which do form under the foreskin. So is this swelling due to Sebaceous glands?
Does the hygiene also is a cause of such swelling?
Because as far as we could see and clean the penis by pulling back his foreskin (till the point it goes) it appears very clean.
So we are wondering what could be the reason for this swelling and how it can be prevented?
How long it generally takes to subsides?

We know that you have been showered with lot of questions :) But we can't help as we are worried parents. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Waiting for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 44 minutes later

Thanks for your queries which are very genuine.

It has nothing to do with hygiene. Sebaceous glands produce sebum which is a form of natural oil of the skin. When the opening of the gland gets blocked the sebum collects and form such swellings. They do not recur and nothing needs to be done. Continue keeping the hygiene as you have been maintaining.

It is difficult to say the time it will take to subside. In some cases it may subside in a few months and in some case may persist and nothing needs be done.

I hope I have clarified all your doubts.

Wishing your son all the best.

RKK

P.S.: in case you intend closing the query then do provide your feedback.