Noticed lump in perineum area. Diagnosed as cyst. Brown pus and blood comes after squeezing. What to do?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
A few weeks ago, I discovered a sub-surface lump the half size of a golf ball in my perineum area. There was and is no pain or itching. I went to my family physician yesterday and he indicated it was a cyst. This morning, I discovered what looked like blood on my sheet so I looked at the area and it was moist. I squeezed the lump and a combination of green/brown pus and blood. I did this several times and a great amount discharged but the lump in size has not. So, could this be a boil rather than a cyst and should I go back to see my physician?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query on Health care magic
The swelling in the perineum area with no pain,itching or any other symptoms rule out the presence of a boil or abscess.Most probably by the history that you have mentioned , the swelling may be a sebaceous cyst or an epidermoid cyst .Other common causes of such swellings in perineum can be a dermoid cyst or an anal duct/gland cyst .Most probably the sebaceous cyst due to increased size must have ruptured and some contents in the form of blood and discharge must have got evacuated over your sheet.Sebum ( content of the cyst ) may be pale or darker colored or if infected then may be of different color combination of greenish to brownish with foul smell. Squeezing the cyst is not the most appropriate way to deal with the cyst as the lining wall remains inside and causes recurrence of the swelling again and may also get infected as perineum area is prone for it .
I would suggest you to visit your surgeon who will examine it and may investigate it with a fine needle aspiration cytology and then decide the further management .Once the diagnosis is confirmed , the cyst can be removed surgically.
I hope i have answered your queries .If you have any further doubts kindly feel free to post again,Ill be glad to answer them .If you donot have any further questions kindly accept my answer.
God Bless