Noticed little yellowish slime after bowel movement. No pain or itching. What could be this?

I am a 27 year old female and sometimes after a bowl movement there will be a little yellowish "slime" on the toilet paper. My bowls are normal so to say and I don't see anything on/ in the bowls. What could this be? Also no pain or itching.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 35 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Mucus is a clear, white, or yellow substance with the consistency of jelly that is produced by the mucus membrane of the large intestine. Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus.
As you to have any other symptom like pain abdomen and itching and bowel upset i don't think you need to worry much.
If you are very much stressed about this you can go for stool routine examination and also you can consider taking tablet albendazole 400 mg a single dose. I also advice you to have fiber XXXXXXX diet for few days you will be fine.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: Noticed little yellowish slime after bowel movement. No pain or itching. What could be this? 7 hours later
Thank you, would stress or something you ate be causing this or is it just something that can happen. I just noticed it maybe a month ago and like I said is is not all the time and not very much. I am relieved to know some mucus is normal. I will add fiber to my diet to see if it helps.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Good to hear from you.

Mucus secretion is not related to stress or food intake.

Its normal constituent of intestinal secretions.

If you develop any symptoms like dysentery , blood in the stools, or itching then consult a doctor, or else no need to worry.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Noticed little yellowish slime after bowel movement. No pain or itching. What could be this? 2 minutes later
Thank you, your answers helped but my last questions is how would you know if you were infected with roundworms? My cat has them bad and I am wondering if this would be causing the problem. Is there any signs I should look out for?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 15 minutes later

If you are infested with roundworm, then you will have certain symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort and pain ,diarrohea, weight loss etc..

If you are in contact with pets , which is infested with worms then you have to undergo deworming at least once in every six months, for this you can take tablet albendazole as i told earlier.

Hope your queries are cleared.