Noticed itchy rashes on lower abdomen after taking multivitamin. Concerned

Hi there, I've noticed a large rashy area in the shape of a crescent over my lower left abdomen. The size of a salad plate. Sort of itchy, not painful, just red bumps and irritated skin where I scratch. The only thing that has changed recently was I started taking One a Day multivitamins. It started about a week ago and has grown since, Oddly enough, it seems to be moving toward the center of my stomach towards the right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Regarding the rash which you are describing there are two possibilities. One possibility would be that this is some type of fungal infection. These types of infections don't usually travel or spread from one area to the next although they can sometimes be diffuse.

The other possibility is that this might be a viral type of rash. This is also referred to as shingles. Shingles rash usually will progress in a linear distribution. You can check online for images that might look similar. If this is in fact a shingles rash you should talk to your doctor as soon as possible to obtain antiviral medication to help this resolved quickly.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns regarding this matter.

Dr Robert