Noticed itchy and swollen lips and blisters inside lips. How to get rid of it?

On Tuesday of this last week I woke up with my upper lip hugely swollen, but only half of my upper lip. So swollen i was teased that if it was the whole lip i would have had lips bigger than XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I normally have very small lips. My lip never hurt or felt tingely. As the day continued the swelling started to go down and it got a little itchy. The next day it was still a little swollen but itched horrible. I took some benadryl that helped with the itching. Thursday when i woke up i had a white blister on the inside of my lip that looked like a cankor sore and the outer half of that side of my lip was very chapped. After worked i went to the dr to see if they thought it was something i should worry about. The dr said that there was a very small possibilty that it was a cold sore but that it didnt really show the signs of one so they didnt think it was. They said that if it was a cold sore over the next few days it would get a yellow crusty like substance to it, that is how i would know if it was one, i am 32 years old and i have never had a cold sore before. By that evening the large white blister started leaking a clear fluid. I woke up friday morning with my lips stuck together. Very painful.. as the day went on it was very sore and would continue to leak clear fluid, like water clear. By fridy evening it had stopped but was still sore. I was very fearful of waking. Up with my lips stuck together again so i put a very thick coat of vasalene all over my lips. I woke up this morning to them stuck together again, and back to it hurting so bad because of having to get my lips seperated. My lip is still just chapped looking and dry but no crusty part at alll, but the inside of my lip still has the large white looking blister that leaks clear fluid. It is an extremely large blister. So large it takes up half of the inside of my upper lip. Any help in what is causing it, what i can do to get it to heal faster and what i can do to relieve the paid would be greatly appreciated. Im tired of being in so much pain
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I am concerned that you're dealing with an infection. In order to treat this effectively a prescription may be needed. There are several different antiviral medications which are usually very successful at getting this type of thing under control.

In addition you might consider a topical remedy. There is a topical preparation called Abreva Which you can obtain at the pharmacy over-the-counter. You can apply this to your lips every hour during the day to help alleviate her symptoms.

If you need a prescription you'll need to get this from a doctor either at your primary care doctors or urgent care.

Thanks again for sending your question. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to talk about those with you.

Dr. Robert