Noticed hard painful lump above collar bone. How to get rid of this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
throbbing lump in side of neckhi im 20 years old and a couple weeks ago i noticed a hard lump in the right side of my neck right above my collar bone (possibley under the collar bone too?) i havnt got it checked out because i dont have insurance yet. and starting march 1st ill have insurance but im getting scared to wait that long i cant tell if its pulsating or if my vein is making it feel that way. i googled it and neck aneorysm comes up so its really starting to freak me out. is there anything u can tel me?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

The lump you are feeling may be a lymph node which is lying over the location of your carotid artery thus your attention is drawn to the pulsations.

Pulsating lump in the neck might be due to Carotid artery aneurysm. Rarely the pulsations from the carotid artery can be transmitted to a swelling adjacent to it, if it is made of soft tissue.

I suggest you to get an Ultrasound scan of the neck done. This will surely provide details on the swelling and its relations making possible to identify the exact pathology easily.

I hope this information helps you.Let me know if you have more concerns.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Noticed hard painful lump above collar bone. How to get rid of this? 27 minutes later
so it will be safe to wait till i get health insurance to get it checked out? what would be symptoms if it was just my lymph node?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Swollen lymph nodes are a sign that something is wrong somewhere in your body. When your lymph nodes first swell, you might notice:
Tender and painful lymph nodes
Some swollen lymph nodes return to normal when the underlying condition, such as a minor infection, resolves. However, see your doctor if you're concerned or if your swollen lymph nodes:
Have appeared for no apparent reason
Continue to enlarge or have been present for more than two weeks
Feel hard or rubbery, or don't move when you push on them
Are accompanied by persistent fever, night sweats or unexplained weight loss
Are accompanied by a sore throat or by difficulty swallowing or breathing

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon