Noticed hard lump below knee. Is this a serious problem?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I noticed a small hard lump below my right knee to the left. It sore if I put pressure in it. It doesnt move when try to move it. It's not noticeable. I didn't have it before and I think it recent. I don't have any knee problems but I have over the last couple years put on weight. I can still do everything with be bothered by it unless I am trying to kneel. Not sure if its something serious or not.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 37 minutes later
Please do not worry. According to your description it does seem you have a bony outgrowth on your shinbone (tibia) below your knee which can be hard immobile and slightly painful. Another possibility is an osgood schlatter lesion or osteochondritis which is a problem of the cartilage tissue below the knee joint on the XXXXXXX bone which can occur due to pressure on the knee as in sports, activity or , walking especially in overweight person . In any case the problem doesn't seem serious . However I would recommend you get it examined by your doctor and get relevant investigations done ( X-ray or ultrasound ) to confirm the diagnosis . The treatment will depend on the diagnosis and is mostly rest , antiinflammatory analgesics and physiotherapy .
Meanwhile you should avoid any activities which might worsen it like Activities like running, jumping, climbing, and kicking anything which might cause overuse strain.
Usually this problem is temporary and self resolving however may take a long time ( even a year) to resolve , hence it's best to get a confirmed diagnosis and start appropriate treatment .
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further doubts .
Follow-up: Noticed hard lump below knee. Is this a serious problem? 20 hours later
Would running into something cause it? I forgot that that whacked it on the side of a bed post leg. I am not sure how long ago....maybe a week or two and it hurt a lot. I am not if that contribute to creating the lump.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case a traumatic injury followed by inflammation ( swelling ) of muscle tendons or ligaments can give rise to such a bump. However it should resolve on its own in a couple of weeks to maximum a month. If you are sure that the bump originated after the injury then you might wait for a week more to watch for resolution. In any case analgesics will help decrease the pain and inflammation.
An X-ray would help in confirming the diagnosis.
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.