Noticed hard bump behind ear and getting headache. Should I be worried?

Hi, my son woke up with a small hard bump in his right side of the head behind the ear n he has a headache that goes from the bump all the way to the front of the head?? Should I be worry n what should I do?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 52 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The most likely scenario could be that this swelling is a swollen or enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes are usually enlarged in the presence of an infection. Let me first list all the most possible causes to this presentation, due to its sudden onset and localization. They are:
-Infection (ear, throat, tooth, salivary glands, fungal infections of the scalp, or systemic infections)
-Growth (eg. tumor, etc.); least likely

I would advice you to take your son to visit his doctor at the earliest, as infections are more pronounced in children (if it is indeed an infection) and an early diagnosis will make it easier to treat.

It is difficult to comment on the diagnosis, as this can happen only with the help of a physical examination, and possibly examining the tissue/fluid/cells inside the swelling.

I am sure the doctor will be able to accurately diagnose the cause for this bump/lump and accordingly treat it. I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Wishing your son a speedy recovery and a beautiful and healthy life thereafter.

Best wishes.