Noticed decrease in platelet count. Should I go for bone marrow test?

I am a 67 year old male, who for the last 2 years has had a decreasing platelet count. (started low at 122 and has decreased with every blood test. It is now 114. My doctor, the last two years, has told me "we just need to keep a check on this".....I , however, am concerned that a severe problem may be ready to "surface". My father died at age 60 with leukemia. I, as of this writing, have no problems with bleeding and/or bruises. Should I look into a bone marrow test, or am I over reacting?
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Hello dear,
You don't need to worry much. Although there are familial tendencies in leukemia, it is not hereditary.

Normal platelet is between 150 to 400 thousand. Your values are somewhat lower, but few people have a tendency to develop mild thrombocytopenia with progressing age.

Also leukemia mainly affects the white blood cells, so I advice you to get your WBC count done.

Getting a peripheral smear done is a very good investigation to rule out leukemia.

Here are my suggestions..

1. Get complete blood count done every 3 months.
2. Get peripheral smear of blood for blast cells, done every 3 months.
3. The last and most important, don't worry.

Feel free to ask, if you have further queries.

If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly rate and close the discussion.

Wishing you a good health.

Thank you