Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor,

I noticed a single bump on my scrotum after a recent sexual exposure. I don't if it had been there before or not. I got it checked out by a doctor and he was uncertain what it was(mole or genital wart). I don't have insurance so couldn't get biopsy done on it. So it's been 30 days since my visit and this is how the bump has.

I haven't taken any treatment yet. And these many frequent changes on the bump; does it tell that it is dying wart without treatment, a cancerous one or something else.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to neither STD nor cancer.Applyoil for scaling

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

That warty lesion is neither due to any STD cause nor an infectious lesion. It could be likely to be present even prior to your sexual exposure. It is just like a skin tag. You can ignore the same. Biopsy is also not in urgency as it is not a cancerous lesion as well.You can consider it as a raised mole.
The scaling around may be due to some application. It will settle spontaneously after application of some vegetable oil or with liquid paraffin.
Nothing to worry.
Dr .S.Murugan

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous? 35 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

What kind of wart lesion is it. Can it be contagious, like can it be sexually transmitted.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neither contagious nor sexually transmissible.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

It is neither contagious nor transmitted through sex.
It is a benign growth from a skin appendage. That is all. It can be ignored or can be removed by various type of surgical procedures ranging from diathermy, Cryosurgery to laser.
Dr S XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous? 11 hours later
Thanks for the prompt reply,

Is there a name called for it like Seborrhoeic Wart. Also when I look at day-30 pictures it looks like it is a genital wart. May I know what pictures tell that it is not a HPV wart.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Genitalwart unlikely.Seborheicwart,mole,papilloma

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

Seborrhoeic wart will usually little more darker and little more wide lesion.

Genital viral wart would not be rounded and with a even surface.
It will be spiky or cauliflower like growth. One who frequently see and treat can able to differentiate. It is more than explaining, the visual experience will guide the Dermatologist and a Venereologist to be confident about their diagnosis.
A biopsy will be able confirm whether it could be a seborrhoeic wart or a papilloma or a skin tag or a raised mole.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous? 5 minutes later
Do you recommend a biopsy to make sure that it is not genital wart. And will the biopsy be accurate enough to differentiate between HPV warts and other warty lesions.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy indicated with abnormal changes

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.
I would not suggest to my patient a biopsy for such lesion. If there is any change in color, growth or becoming painful biopsy is indicated. If anybody is intended the removal then also biopsy is advised.
Otherwise biopsy not indicated. Biopsy is almost reliable. In doubtful instance a second opinion is sought.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Why is the lesion going through those many changes, like color from black to pinkish and change in size. Is the lesion dying or is it something else. There was also white scab on it one.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Examination of lesion can interpret things better.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back.

Resolution of any lesion is changing from pinkish to black and not as black to pink and the size should regress. If it is otherwise a biopsy indicated.
But all these things can be better decided by a physician or a surgeon who examines the same rather than you or the one who is giving opinion on seeing the photograph.
White scabbing indicates a healing attempt of an irritated skin or an associated skin problem and not related to the sexual exposure.
DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Noticed bump on scrotum after sexual exposure. Could this be due to wart? Can be cancerous? 37 hours later
I have been reading online and have noticed Molluscum contagious. I was wondering if mine could be it because it is smooth and had a dimple in it. Also will the virus be in my body forever?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not appearas Molluscum.Virus notpersist after cure

Detailed Answer:
Molluscum Contageosum will be shiny and smooth with an central umbilication.
Your lesion does not appear to be a Molluscum lesion in the picture. In your pictures it has different appearance at different stage and very difficult to interpret with a definite diagnosis.
If it is a molluscum, it is very easy to handle when it is single and once it had been tacked well, further recurrence is not common. Virus would not be present in the body after a complete cure.
Dr S.Murugan