Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed bump on roof of mouth. Is this flu related problem?

I had two equal size bumps come on quite suddenly in the roof of my mouth. They aren't painful but they are hard. I've had them about a this flu related, a tooth problem..?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query ,

As you have mentioned you have developed lumps on the roof of the mouth or palate that are not painful , such painless lesion suggests swelling of MINOR SALIVARY glands.

There are many minor salivary glands in the palatal area that may get blocked and swelled.

Inflammation of the salivary gland due to bacterial or viral invasion also leads to formation of lesions.

Other than this, lumps or swelling seen on the roof of the mouth are most commonly cold sores and canker sores.
Cold sores are commonly seen on non movable part of mouth like palate.

Apart from this , the other causes of lumps on the roof of the mouth may be vitamin B 12 deficiency , tobacco abuse , smoking ,low immunity , bacterial infections , viral infections like oral herpes .

Stress or hormonal changes may also lead to lesions on palate.
moreover , lesions may be formed due to injury by food products , cracked teeth .
noncancerous growth can also been due to inflammed salivary glands which can be treated effectively by an oral surgeon.

Infected tooth may also drain abscess in the palatal area.

Therefore we have so many possibilities that can be causing the lumps. A direct examination by a qualified doctor is necessary to narrow down the possibilities. I suggest you to consult a dentist and get the examination done and if necessary get X rays done .

I hope this information helps you ,

take care.

Dr.Farah Hussain.