Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed bubbly urine. Is it stress related?

Hi Dr.
I have been under a lot of stress the last few days. I am wondering if this could cause bubbly urine. I peed in a urinal and after flushing some bubbles came back up.

Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 24 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

Bubbly urine could be due to

1. UTI)
2. Forceful urination.
3. Rarely communication between some part of the intestine and bladder.
4. Stress is extremely unlikely to be a cause.

So, the next step is do to urine analysis and culture to look for UTI, especially if you have burning urination and pain abdomen.
Forceful urination- when the urine comes in contact with the urinal, it brings along with it air bubbles on its path. So it can just be normal.
If the urine is foul smelling, then communication with intestine needs be ruled out for which you need to consult a doctor.
Wishing you good health

Follow-up: Noticed bubbly urine. Is it stress related? 9 minutes later
Hi Dr.

As i have been in generally good health it may have just forceful urination, can i wait a few days to see if everything returns to normal before visiting the doctor for analysis?
One other thing I wanted to mention was that I thought that stress could be a cause for transient proteinuria.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later
Welcome back.
Most probably yes. Hence waiting is worthwhile.
How did you conclude proteinuria? Did you undergo urine analysis at some point?
Follow-up: Noticed bubbly urine. Is it stress related? 22 minutes later
Hi Dr. S., I have an anxiety disorder and tend to get very concerned about things. My office visit urine tests have been normal. I just read online about stress as a potential cause for proteinuria. I have also heard that bubbly urine is not a good predictor of proteinuria however.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later

Welcome back.
Protein may be present in tract quantities.
IF your office urine test is normal, there should be no cause for worry.
Wishing you good health