Noticed bruise, swelling and numbness in ankle after injury. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I slammed my XXXXXXX on a boat dock a week ago and there is only a slight bruise , its swollen and numb but hurts if you push on it. Then today I noticed that the inside of my ankle is bruised now. It does not hurt to walk just if you push on the injured part of my leg. what could this be? a crack? just a XXXXXXX bruise?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
The muscles and skin are supplied by multiple small vessels and capillaries. If one receives blunt trauma, the stress applied from outside ruptures the small vessels resulting in localized blood collection under the skin forming a bruise. The bruise initially is painful and is reddish brown in color which later becomes black and then fades to greenish blue color and disappears within a time of 2-4 weeks depending upon the size and the type of tissue involvement. No medical intervention is required.
The mild pain on XXXXXXX pressure and numbness of the skin will resolve spontaneously with time. Since there is no pain on bearing weight, a bone injury is not likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed bruise, swelling and numbness in ankle after injury. Should I be worried? 3 minutes later
My reason for concern is that there is only a slight bruise and now there is a dark bruise on my ankle where I did not have an injury
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The dark bruise on your ankle is due to settling down of blood due to gravity. This will resolve in next 3-4 weeks without any treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.