Noticed brownish discharge after intercourse. Should I be worried?

My menstrual cycle ended on Thursday. Tonight after inter course, I noticed a brownish tinged discharge with a paper like texture, no odor and no pain during intercourse. Should I be concerned? This has never happened before.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 38 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is not uncommon for the cervix to bleed a little bit when "provoked" such as with an exam at a doctor's office, a pap smear, or intercourse. This is related to glandular cells at the surface of the cervix that might even be a little more prominent during and right after your period. Given the association with intercourse, this is the most likely cause of what you are describing. When the cervix bleeds a small amount, the old blood makes its way out as a brownish discharge. Certainly when blood is "old" it can look slightly like tissue as well.

I would say that you have a good explanation for what happened, but if it happended again, or the discharge persists, OR if you develop any other symptoms such as pain or a fever, then you need to see your doctor.

I hope that this helps!