Noticed blood in stool. No pain. What is wrong?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Good morning my wife of 27 this morning had blood in her stool and when she wiped. today was allot two days ago was less. she have no pains
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

It seems you wife is suffering from XXXXXXX hemorrhoids

AS there is no pain fissure is ruled out

If she has constipation and/or history of recent pregnancy chances of hemorrhoids are more

Colon inflammation can also cause bleeding

You need to give her a good GI antibiotic for 5-7 days, a probiotic for 7-10 days and if constipated give her a laxative

It is always better to take any medicines under medical supervision

Hope this helps
Am available foe followup queries
Wishing your wife a healthy life ahead
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 minutes later
Painless fresh bleeding during motions may be most probably due to bleeding from hemorrhoids in anus/ rectum.This is caused most commonly during straining at stools in a constipated person.
However If she has a history of colitis then it is advisable to get it evaluated by a gastroenterologist to rule out inflammation or malignancy of colon.
If the bleeding is significant in quantity , is fresh blood ,is persistent ( last 2 days) then its advisable you seek a prompt consultation with your doctor & get a colonoscopy / proctoscopy done to establish the diagnosis and start appropriate management.
Even if mild it should be watched for possible risk in future and atleast an evaluation by your doctor should be made ( including stool routine test).
So do not hesitate to seek medical help though it is a condition which can be commonly treated with medications .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.