Noticed black and blue area with a hard lump near belly. Could this be a hernia?

husband has a black and blue area with a hard lump in the middle to the right of his belly button on his belly. Could this be a hernia?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A black and blue area with a hard lump near belly is likely to be due to a hematoma formation due to a local injury in the area. Since there are color changes on the skin, hernia is not likely.
Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.
Haematoma's are very painful. You can take him to your family physician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.
In my opinion, give him hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, ask him to take bed rest, administer anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice and carefully watch its progress for next 2 weeks.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.