Noticed a sub-cutaneous lump under arm. What can be done now?

I recently noticed a sub-cutaneous lump, about 1" diameter, under my left arm. Do you recommend I have it checked by a doctor? If so what type of specialist? I am a 75 year old male, single.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get it examined by a surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,
A sub cutaneous lump is most commonly a lipoma.
A lipoma is benign collection of fat.
Other possibility could be a sebaceous cyst.

The lesions can be best defined by clinical examination, for the same I would advise you to book an appointment with a general surgeon. As such lipoma and sebaceous cyst are benign lesions and may be left as such or excised if the need be. However as a definite diagnosis can only be made by clinical examination, a doctor's visit is necessary.
Hope this helped.