Noticed a painless lump on achilles tendon, tingling and pulsating sensation. What is it?

Achilles TendonI am an athlete who plays competitive volleyball 4-5x per week. I am 27, female. Last week Monday I noticed a small lump/bump on the back of my achilles tendon. I have just started my practice of outdoor beach and grass doubles too. The lump does not hurt I did ice for like 2x a day all last week but continued to play as it did not hurt. Today i woke up to a tingling n pricky feelig in my achilles that is pulsating all day. It does not hurt though, but this feeling is annoying. i would rather not go to the doctor as i do not currently have health insurance.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

The small bump you noticed over the Achilles tendon could probably be a Ganglion cyst. It is very typical for such a lesion to grow with varying speeds. The lesion may grow up-to 5cms causing movement restrictions in the respective muscle.

Unfortunately considering your profession, I believe it necessary for you to visit a doctor and get an Xray done to exclude any more serious underlying pathology.

Surgical excision is the only treatment option available for such a swelling. Also to consider there are higher chances of recurrence of such swelling after excision.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.