Not sexually active. Rash with extreme itching in groin area. Prescribed with clotrimazole cream. Suggest the cure?

I'm a 53 year old woman who has not been sexualy active for two years and have been bothered by a mild rash with extreme itching in my entire groin area. This has been going on for about 6 months. Benadryle helps temporarily but it's not going away
My Dr. gave me clotrimazole cream usp 1% but it's only temporale relief. She said if this doesn't work I wll have to
see a gyno. What do you think?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection likely

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for the query. Indeed, given the location and extreme itching, a fungal infection is likely, either by tinea or candida. There are instances when the germ is resistant to topical ointments and oral fluconazole is required, usually as a single dose. Topical antifungal powder can help as the medication exerts its effect. If after such treatment the rash persists, then it would be reasonable to explore other diagnoses. It really does not sound like a sexually transmitted disease.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Not sexually active. Rash with extreme itching in groin area. Prescribed with clotrimazole cream. Suggest the cure? 37 minutes later
What is the cause and how long can it take to go away? Can I prevent it from coming back?
Thank-you for your time and patients.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moist and warm environment

Detailed Answer:
The main cause is the moist and warm environment that promotes fungal proliferation; if you have reached or are close to menopause that is another risk factor. The main things for prevention are keeping the area clean and dry with daily hygiene and use of medicated powder daily. After treatment with fluconazole, significant improvement to resolution should be evident within a week, if this is the accurate diagnosis

Best regards