Not having spleen. Is this the reason for me getting infections very often?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have no spleen, and wonder if this is one of the reasons why, when I get a cold, or flu, including gastric flu, that I am really affected? I am also asthmatic.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is an increased risk of infections.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The spleen plays an important role in fighting bacterial infection but the body has other defences as well. Therefore, your body will be able to cope with many infections but is at risk of developing serious bacterial infections quickly.
For this reason many people without a working spleen will be on long-term low-dose antibiotics, often penicillin. Many of the infections we suffer are viral in origin but a secondary bacterial infection may develop. Therefore, your doctor may advise you to be immunised against pneumococcus, Hib, meningococcus and influenza.
As you are asthmatic, then you have an increased chance of developing chest infections which may need antibiotics.
Although you have a potential for developing infections, with an awareness of the risk and proactive treatment, you should be able to remain healthy.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,