Not getting firm erection, planning for pregnancy. Any medication or tests need to be done?

Hi Doctor,
Me and my wife were planning a baby from feb 2012. We had a good sex life upto the month when we started planning for the baby. Since we started trying for the baby, i have been unable to get a firm erection for insertion. We have tried now 7-8 times since the last month, and all the time i have been unable to get an erection.

Can you please advise what I could do? Are there any medicines or tests i need to go through?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 6 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here is classical performance anxiety erectile dysfunction. This often starts when a couple start to "plan" a pregnancy or, and this is even more classical, start to confine their love-making to the so-called fertile period.

You quickly get into a situation where you start to watch yourself trying to get an erection. You are now up in the audience looking at yourself and you are in the wrong place.

Niggling negative thoughts are blocking your subconscious brain from sending messages to your penis to get erect. Your brain is getting a busy signal and can't get through.

You can fix this by taking intercourse off the menu for 4 weeks and just pleasure each other. After some time and when you have a good erection she squats on top of you, puts your penis into her vagina and does all the moving and shaking. You do nothing. No performance no anxiety.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Not getting firm erection, planning for pregnancy. Any medication or tests need to be done? 11 hours later
Do I look at the option of Viagra or any other pills?
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 7 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for your follow up question.

Yes of course, you can look at the pharmacological option. If I were to be your physician, I would suggest Cialis 20mg because of their long action. But also mix in some behavioural therapy as well.

You do not want to become dependent on pills to fix this. So do consult your physician before you start taking this pill.

I hope that this clarifies things more for you and that you will be able to fix this quickly. Let me know if you have any more concerns. And if all your queries have been answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good luck.

Andrew Rynne.