Nose suddenly looks darker. Had a bad allergy, could wiping or blowing too hard may have caused this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My nose suddenly looks a bit darker (black) than the rest of my face. I was told to get it checked. I had a bad allergy and could wiping or blowing make too hard may have caused this? is this permenannt and should I see a physcian?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later

Thank for your query.

It doesn't seems to be anything serious or permanent.
It looks like nose subcutaneous (haematoma/bruising) and if this appeared suddenly after nose allergy and blowing then this is probably caused by it. It means that few small veins in subcutaneous tissue broke and blood accumulated in this area.
In this case it will spontaneously be absorbed in 5-7 days and leave no consequences. To facilitate this process you can ask for some heparin gel at pharmacist and apply this.

Rarely haemangioma can occur in this area and in some cases there are certain haematological disorders of blood clotting or metabolic disease such as hemochromatosis. So if this persists for more than 7 days you should do blood tests, check your iron, thrombocytes and clotting factors levels.

Wish you good health. If you have anything to ask I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Nose suddenly looks darker. Had a bad allergy, could wiping or blowing too hard may have caused this? 3 hours later
hi Doc,

I stopped by local Walgreen and Pharamicst told me that they have prescription Heparin but no gel. he said never came across one. This is at Wallgreen on Denstontap road in Coppell, TX.

I will see for one week and then schedule an appointment. it is not hurting so it is ok.

thanks,
XXXXXXX D.

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

It must be heparin gel not heparin. I don't know pharmaceutical name in your place but it is not necessary to have this as this will pass spontaneously in most cases.

Do avoid taking heparin of course.

If you notice breathing difficulties, pain, pulsating pain or inflammation signs in nose area you should visit doctor earlier. If not, just wait and see will there be progression or improvement in next 5 days.