Nose bleeding, CT scan reports normal, fear of leukemia, radiation risks

hello there i am very very worried that i could have lukiemia and very very worried as about 6 weeks ago i was sitting doing a paint by numbers painting and then i felt my nose was abit running and then i wiped my hand over my nose and it was bleeding and never suffered with bllod noses before so was very concerned also i have been feeling very tired and also i had about 4 to 5 ct scans in like 12 months as doctors where doing it for my reasureance as i suffer with anxitey so very worried now that i could have lukiumia as i went to about 3 doctors to get reasurance that i didnt have any cancer or anything wrong expect for anxitey, please help me and let me know how i would feel if i did have lukiemia and i am worried it would e to late to be cured if i did have lukiemia. PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later

Blood from nose has many reasons like dryness, scratching by fingers, deviated nasal septum, high blood pressure, etc. Bleeding from nose due to blood disorders, like low platelets (without identified cause or marrow disorders like leukemia) is relatively rare.

However, these causes can be easily ruled out by a simple blood test. I am sure it has been performed upon you a number of times and they are all normal. Hence you can be rest assured that you don't have leukemia.

You are also worried that leukemia may be diagnosed late and it may be too late to be cured. However, leukemia treatment does not depend upon stage, i.e., early vs late. In fact, there is no stage in leukemia. In any case, I don't think you may be having leukemia and hence this is immaterial.

You also had 4-5 CT scans in one year, presumably all normal. You should not have so many CT scans just for reassurance, as CT carries its own hazards like radiation hazard. You can just have routine checkups periodically with your physician and maybe get an occasional blood test. It may be also a good idea to get treated for anxiety as you yourself feel about this.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Nose bleeding, CT scan reports normal, fear of leukemia, radiation risks 6 hours later
so can i still get lukuemia from the 4-5 Ct Scans that i had. and i have to have a full blood count blood test today and hope that will be back to my doctor by do u think i could get this blood cancer from the amount of Ct scans that i had.
Thanks for the follow up.

It is very difficult to quantify the risk of cancers arising from CT scans as the risk is quite small as compared to therapeutic radiation (radiotherapy). Even if somebody develops a cancer after repeated CT scans, it will be next to impossible to pinpoint CT scans as the cause.

It is true, that to be on the safe side we advise against unnecessary CT scans. But, obviously, they will need to be done when indicated. For example, we have many cancer patients on treatment who need periodic scans to assess the benefit of treatment. We have no other options in these cases. What I want to emphasize that CT scans should not be done repeatedly for providing only reassurance.

I am confident that all your tests will come normal and you will be back to your normal life shortly putting all these behind you.